As Facebook continues to grow, it continues to need new ways of making money from each of its users.
One of those ways is Project Beacon, where Facebook builds a page for an advertiser, and then links to it from various profile pages.
How does it create those links?
By monitoring what sites you visit, and then phoning home after you visit an advertiserâ€™s site.
As expected, many users are not exactly excited about Facebookâ€™s ability to watch everything they do, and are looking for ways to stop the Beacon.
The steps are as follows:
- Download and Install the BlockSite plugin for Firefox.
- After restarting Firefox select â€˜Add-onsâ€™ from the Tools menu.
- Click the â€˜Optionsâ€™ button on the BlockSite extension.
- Click the â€˜Addâ€™ button.
- Enter http://*facebook.com/beacon/* into the input box.
- Click â€˜OKâ€™.
- Click â€˜OKâ€™ again and you are good to go.
Itâ€™s good to know that thereâ€™s always someone looking out for the little guy.