So with Macworld fast approaching (get ready for an Earth shattering keynote at 9 am PST), I thought Iâ€™d do my part and make some predictions for what is â€œonly just the beginningâ€. Though these are completely guess based and rely on no inside information or fact gathering what so ever, none of the other predictions are going to get very close either so I might as well see how good I am with a crystal ball.
- No iPhone. Itâ€™s just too good to be true. Any time everyone gets their hopes up for an Apple vaporware product, Steve pulls something brand new out of his back pocket that shocks and awes and most of all surprises. The iPhone has everyone guessing and predicting and gambling, but I think itâ€™s all based on hopes and dreams and not an actual product. Though Apple will probably eventually come out with a phone (and not just a Moto Razr add on), I donâ€™t think tomorrow is the day.
- Apple TV. No, not the iTV, but an actual TV made by Apple. Theyâ€™ve already announced the iTV, and wet the palette for everyone looking to spread some Apple joy beyond their computer, so why not make a TV to plug the iTV directly into. It could even have special functions when connected to the already mentioned iTV. A 30â€ monitor (which Apple already makes) isnâ€™t much different from a 42â€ TV, so I donâ€™t think itâ€™s too much of a stretch to imagine Apple in the living room. Throw in a camera, add Front Row integration, and youâ€™ve got yourself a multitasking, multimedia, multifunction powerhouse.
- New monitors. They’re going to have iSights built right in, better specs, probably a wider range of sizes, and if we’re really lucky, freaking laser beams.
- No new Airport. Though I would love to see one, everyone is still trying to hash out the exact specs for the next wireless band. Until everything gets sorted out, I donâ€™t see Apple taking any gambles with maybe it will maybe it wonâ€™t technology.
- Smaller MacBook/MacBook Pro. They have an untapped market for those who need/want an ultra portable, and the MacBook brought the sexy back to smaller, so why not continue the trend and offer a sub 12â€er?
- iLife update. Given.
- Something to do with games. Since iTunes now lets you download and play games on your iPod, why not integrate some sort of gaming feature into the iTV? Especially with Intel now on board, Apple has got to go the way of the game.
- New iPod. This was all anyone could talk about the last time Apple decided to make a special announcement, but has gotten swept under the rug this time as everyone salivates over the thought of an iPhone. Add a full body widescreen, change the way you press and click and twirl, add battery life/storage space/brightness/etc., and youâ€™ve got yourself a hit. The iPod has always been the bread and butter of the Apple lineup, so why not assume theyâ€™re going to keep it so fresh and so clean, clean?
So there you go, the DYH Macworld â€™07 Predictions. Though theyâ€™re about as likely to come out of the Steviness as anyone else’s predictions, itâ€™s worth a shot. Just remember, if any of these come true, you saw it here first (and I have magic Mac powers).