With the launch of Vista, T-Mobile and the â€˜Soft have partnered up to give away three months of free HotSpot service to anyone who upgrades. The free service relies on a pretty weak verification scheme to check for the upgrade though, so with a little easy hacking, you too can enjoy free wireless, courtesy of T-Mobile. Hereâ€™s what you need to do:
- Download Firefox (You should be using this anyways)
- Download the Firefox entension User Agent Switcher
- Restart Firefox and go to: Tools > User Agent Switcher > Options > Optionsâ€¦
- Click â€œUser Agentsâ€ and then â€œAddâ€
- Fill out the window with following info:
Description: Internet Explorer 7 (Windows Vista)
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0)
App Name: Microsoft Internet Explorer
App Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0)
- Save, go to Tools > User Agent Switcher > Then click the newly added one.
- Browse over to http://hotspot.t-mobile.com/vista/ and you should be redirected to a trial sign-up page.
Note: This isn’t guaranteed to work (You may need to be using a Mac), but if it does, hooray for you!