Though it doesnâ€™t look like much, this 1959 Opel T-1 managed to get 376.59 miles per gallon back in 1973! How did it manage such an impressive number?
- The weight was reduced as much as possible by stripping out every part of the interior except for the seat.
- The wind resistance was reduced by chopping the top down to a lower height.
- Friction was reduced by narrowing the rear axle and using super-hard low-friction tires.
- Weight and parasitic fuel loss due to slippage was eliminated with the use of a chain drive.
- The fuel line was insulated and heated to enter the combustion chamber as lean vapor.
- The car was driven at a steady 30 mph using the stock 4-cylinder engine.
It doesnâ€™t take much, does it?
Prius owners, you have met your match.